the challenge Next Door & Window is a titan of window and door replacement, a paragon of quality and service. But in a saturated market, prospective customers were looking through them, rather than at them.the solution Open the door to new clients by creating...
- Proudest accomplishment: Raising my children. It’s way harder than anything professionally related.
- Favorite cold drink: Whiskey Old Fashioned with one block of ice
- Hidden talents: Man, I wish I had some.
- Favorite song: Elton John, Tiny Dancer. Always takes me to another place and time.
- Favorite pastime: Fishing. I’d fish every day, if I could.
- Personal Patronus: Bear
- Teletubby of choice: Po. Nothing slows her down.
“The best managers put people in positions to succeed.”
Today, Marc continues to bring good people and good businesses together. His humble attitude and straightforward philosophy are the heart and soul of MACLYN, and his vision – a company founded on relationships – shows us the way forward.
“Success is good. Friendship is better.”
- Proudest accomplishment: Without question being the father of 3 great humans whom I adore. My wife deserves most of the credit though.
- Higher education: I actually went to college for six weeks.
- The holy trinity: Family. Friends. Community – but I also love wine, bourbon and vodka – not necessarily in that order, and I enjoy home barrel-aged manhattans too!
- Favorite song: Impossible to say – depends on my mood! Love is the Answer? The Ballad of Curtis Loew? I Ain’t Drunk, I’ve Just Been Drinkin? Fat Bottom Girls?
- Greatest Teletubby: What’s a Teletubby?
- Collections/Obsessions: I have about 500 vinyl albums. Used to have more, but I lost 300 in a flood. I also have a wine cellar and enjoy finding, collecting, ageing and sharing wine with friends.
“Choose to care about and be involved with the people and causes in your community.”
Courtney, our Vice President, Strategy & Accounts, leads research projects, builds marketing plans, and thinks both strategically and creatively for our clients. In her own words, here’s Courtney’s take on…
- Favorite band that sounds like an animal: Phish
- Hidden Talents: I have a weird knack for memorizing numbers, particularly addresses.
- Greatest Fear: I don’t have fears.
- Grade Cards: I’ve always struggled in school but excelled at work. At 16, I got my first internship (at the Naperville Area Chamber of Commerce). When report cards came, my parents would be upset with my grades, so I would bring home my employee reviews to show them how well I was doing at work. That pretty much seemed to satisfy them. And that internship eventually led me to MACLYN.
- Proudest Accomplishments: My beautiful family: my husband, Mike, and my two kids, Jack and Emma. Another proud accomplishment was having the honor of serving as President of the Naperville Jaycees (2009-2010), a civic service organization dedicated to developing young leaders through community service.
“Strategy lives at the intersection of multiple disciplines—creative, digital, analytics, consumer research, etc. My job is to connect those dots.”
- Hidden Talents: I can balance rocks pretty well. I haven’t won any rock-balancing competitions… but with that said, I haven’t entered any either.
- Favorite Teletubby: Nope.
- Pets: Weiner dogs only.
- Favorite Food: Spanish Octopus from Eatery/A in Des Moines
- Surprising personal facts: I leave no surprises unveiled.
- Life on other planets: We would be silly to think there wasn’t.
“Don’t let the grind of life stop you from pursuing your dreams.”
- Victories, large and small: I love to play basketball. I beat my husband in an intense Pop-A-Shot basketball game with a week’s worth of dish duty on the line. It was EPIC and still stands as one my greatest victories of all time! SWOOSH.
- Profundity of parenthood: The most profound thing I have done is becoming a mother. I am in awe watching my two boys grow, learn, problem solve and develop personalities. It is fascinating – and I adore being able to have a front row seat to such a beautiful transformation.
- One thing you just can’t get into: Heavy metal
- Favorite Breakfast Food: Bread pudding pancakes from Southport Grocery in Chicago.
- Indispensable advice: At my first official job out of college, I made a mistake – and my boss calmly said: “No lives were lost; let’s fix it.” That has stuck with me and continues to serve me well, 20 years later.
“Try to be someone others can count on—personally and professionally.”
- Things you can’t-stop-won’t-stop: I have a self-diagnosed addiction to potato chips.
- Favorite pastimes: Enjoying good cocktails and laughing
- Collections/obsessions: PEZ Dispensers
- TV loyalties: If it’s on BRAVO, chances are I’m watching it.
- Nostalgic radio: In college, I hosted a radio show called “The 80’s Rewind.”
- Pets: My vodka collection. Best companion a guy could ask for.
“In this biz, relationships are what really matter.”
- Musical talent: I can rock out a mean “Smoke on the Water” on the alto sax.
- Proudest Accomplishment: Winning the Science Olympiad in fourth grade (thanks to my smart friend). That was my personal high-water mark.
- Pets, current and former: I had a remote guinea pig. He died. I had a turtle, but he died, too. I had a beta fish! But, well… you can probably guess.
- Personal Patronus: Nicholas Cage
- Favorite pastime: Running. To the uninitiated, running seems like the dumbest thing ever, but it’s actually meditative and instructive. To be a good runner, you have to keep your emotions in check and detach yourself from all the little thoughts buzzing around your brain. Good skills to have, especially in a world of iPhones and Insta.
“Never trust a pull quote.”
- Hidden talents: I was in choir growing up, but I get really nervous singing in front of people. I’m a pretty good cook. I’m also weirdly good at Catchphrase and pop culture trivia.
- Contradictions: I’m really into true crime and serial killer docs. I’m also super into Disney.
- Personal Patronus: Pottermore told me it’s a Blood Hound, but I feel like it would be some sort of cat because they’re feisty. But Pottermore doesn’t lie.
- Proudest Accomplishments: #1: Spending 16 hours straight at Magic Kingdom (in Disney World) without dying. That is A LOT of steps for one day…
#2: On a more serious note, it would probably be how I handle my diseases (Diabetes and Hypothyroidism) and try not to let them control my life.
“When it comes to art and creative direction, I think it’s best to always trust your instincts. A lot of times, the first ideas are the good ones.”
- Proudest accomplishment: Being an aunt. It’s not necessarily my accomplishment, but it definitely pushes me to be better – to be someone that little girl can look up to.
- Favorite dinner: Steak and wine
- Driving record: I’ve been in an accident in every car I’ve owned. It’s a curse.
- Life on other planets: Earth is a little blip compared to our solar system, our galaxy and beyond. I think it would be bumptious to think there aren’t other life forms out there.
- Personal Patronus: A puppy
- Collections/obsessions: I collect Lokai bracelets. Actually, I just added three to my collection: BLM, Pride and Women’s Empowerment.
“A lot of marketing strategy comes from understanding people, and that isn’t necessarily taught.”
- Alternative careers: If I were to switch careers, I would be a studio singer or a marine mammologist.
- Travel Plans: I’ve always wanted to travel around Europe. But now that I’m older, I think I’d have to say Thailand.
- At-home zookeeping: I have a short-hair tabby cat (Robbie Plant), a bearded dragon (Bonham) and a harrier mix puppy (Apollo).
- Life on other planets: I can’t even handle my own planet, y’all.
- Zombie apocalypse outlook: OMG I would die so quickly, it’s not even funny. I would just sit in a corner and cry until they come eat me. Unless my niece/nephews are around… then it’s full auntie mode.
“Do your best, take deep breaths, and remember that it’s more important to progress than perfect.”
- Style, modern or otherwise: I can sew a mean cartridge pleated skirt, circa 16th century fashion. And I can accessorize a wedding dress like you wouldn’t believe – I worked in both a costume shop and as a bridal stylist for a spell.
- High-speed interviews: One of my first interviews as a PR spokesperson was done LIVE while riding a roller coaster.
- Top 5 films: Jim Henson’s The Labyrinth, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Fountain, Moulin Rouge, and Big Fish. I have a whole separate list strictly for Disney and superhero films, provided upon request!
- Proudest accomplishment: I would have to say the first theatre production I ever directed, back during my senior year of college. It was a beautiful play and the cast and crew came together to make some magic on stage after months of hard work, dedication, and really innovative thinking on a shoestring budget. We literally took a mattress left for the garbage off a street corner and bleach cleaned it in my apartment for our set. I remember watching the show on opening night in absolute awe of the final product. There was a lot of hustle in that team of creators that warms my heart to this day.
“You have to tackle everything you do with both heart and hustle. I strive to strike the balance between the two—that’s where the magic happens.”
- Surprising advantages: I detect movement faster than most because I’m colorblind.
- Borderline-divine talents: I can make wine out of water… and grapes.
- Best moment ever: Holding my daughter for the first time
- Favorite song w/ explicit warning: “Life’s a Bitch” by Mac Dre
- Personal Patronus: Wolf
- Biggest legitimate fear: Nuclear fallout
- Favorite TV shows about legally/morally questionable people Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Sopranos and Peaky Blinders
“Do what works—not just what you like. Just because something looks good to you does not mean it will to others.”
- Proudest nonprofessional accomplishment: Kicking and making multiple field goals, in a row, at AT&T Stadium.
- Travel plans: I’d like to visit all seven continents, but the Festival of the Lights in Thailand has been at the top of my list for a while.
- Pets, current and future: Currently, I only have my 3-year-old yellow lab, Ruby, but I’m always looking for more.
- Collections, taboo or otherwise: Apparently collecting beanie babies is cool again, so I can admit I still have a few of them. Some even have their tags 😉
- Hidden talent: My nail design game
- Indispensable advice: You either get bitter or you get better. It’s that simple. You either take what has been dealt to you and allow it to make you a better person, or you allow it to tear you down. The choice does not belong to fate, it belongs to you.
“Never regret a day in your life – good days give happiness, bad days give experience, worst days give lessons, and the best days give memories.”
It’s a good thing she knows a lot about astrology – it was our good fortune when rising star
Andrianna joined the Dunkin’ team. With a warm presence and a fiery drive, she helps write our destiny. In her own words, here’s Andrianna’s take on…
- Hidden Talents: Reciting every song in Hamilton, making a mean grilled cheese and tomato soup.
- Dream destination: Santorini, Greece! But I would also love to visit all 50 states.
- What is the best color, and is it orange, orange, or orange: I love orange!! My room was painted bright orange up until this year.
- Biggest fear: FALLING. Not so much heights, just when high up places don’t have safety precautions.
- Meryl Streep apologist: Mamma Mia is my forever comfort movie!
- Likelihood of survival in a zombie apocalypse: I think I’d do really well – on accident, not because of any special skills. I’m good at thriving in chaos.
“People come first. It’s easy to get caught up in the little details of a job, but creating a good relationship with those you work with can make all the difference. We are all humans.”
A dawning dynamo of design, Julia Evans finds creativity in every corner of her life. Whether she’s opening an Etsy store to support Black Lives Matter, restyling thrifted treasures, or roaming around with her mini Australian shepherd Dash, she combines art, smart, and heart.
In her own words, here’s Julia’s take on:
- Hidden Talents: I play the violin, love funky earrings, and find the hidden gems at every thrift shop
- Surprising Facts: I went “viral” on tiktok for a gift I made my friend (thanks to the BTS ARMY)
- Which Teletubbie are you? Tinky Winky. I always thought it was “Pinky Winky” and I loved it because I love pink, but unfortunately I was wrong, I should’ve known from the purple costume
- Favorite band: The Head and the Heart (especially the song “Cruel”)
- Favorite pasttimes: Painting, crocheting, walking my dog, binge watching tv shows, baking
- Is there life on other planets? Maybe, probably?
- Celebrity crushes: Mark Ruffalo, my king
“If a strong team = good design, the MACLYN team must all secretly be the Hulk.”
As a marketing wordsmith (some simply call him a “copywriter”), Thomas spends his days helping bring brands to life through…words! In his own words, here’s Thomas’s take on…
- Birth-related fun facts: I’m a twin, but not the identical kind. Do I still have twin superpowers though? Maybe…
- Abandoned childhood passions: I cared too much about geology in 8th grade.
- Favorite ways to avoid sitting still: Hiking, biking, and walking around aimlessly through Iowa’s trail system are some of my favorite “activity-based” hobbies.
- Prominent irrational fear: I would really prefer not to die in a shipwreck.
“Copywriting is a skill that’s oddly comparable to doing impressions. You have to be able to perfectly capture and communicate every little thing about the brands you work with.”
A delightfully diligent pro who’s unafraid to sweat the details, Liz helps keep everything on track between us MACLYNites and our clients. In her own words, here’s Liz’s take on…
- Likely aux cord requests: The Spins (Mac Miller), Heat Above (Greta Van Fleet), On My Own (Miley Cyrus), and Sedona (Houndmouth) are four songs that I will simply never get tired of.
- Underwhelming near-death experiences: I almost choked on a piece of food the other day while I was home alone. (Make sure you chew your food, people.)
- Favorite pastimes (no particular order): Reading, playing with my dog, listening to music, binging tv shows, doing crossword puzzles, and hammocking.
- Perceived possibility of extraterrestrial life: Oh, for sure. 100%. I mean like…right?
- Favorite color(s): Purple! Or lavender or maroon, but maroon is more of a shade of red…but whatever.
- Most beloved meal: Medium rare steak with mashed potatoes and a glass of red wine… chef’s kiss.
- Cool collections: Every time I travel somewhere new, I buy a shot glass.
“Always be open-minded. Going with the flow, listening, and learning how other people think and operate opens the floodgates for new opportunities.”
As Creative Director at MACLYN, Brian Moore is like a brain, acting as the vessel that turns ideas into action. He inspires and fosters collaboration, communication, and (obviously) creativity within our entire team—all while delivering stunning solutions for our clients. In his own words, here’s Brian’s take on…
- Wholesome hidden talents: I pride myself on being a really good gift-giver.
- Proudest non-professional accomplishment: Definitely being the cool uncle. (Could this be related to the gift-giving talent?)
- Favorite color: Purple.
- Which Teletubby are you?: Tinky Winky, because of my love of the color purple—and also the man-bag swag.
- Lengthy canine companions: I have two dachshunds, Piper and Dash.
- Favorite films: Anything from Denis Villeneuve, David Fincher, and Neil Blomkamp. Namely: Bladerunner 2049, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and District 9.
- Is there life on other planets?: Absolutely, even if it’s just microscopic bacteria. I find it hard to believe we’re alone in the universe. But, then again, this could all just be a simulation.
- Favorite pastimes: Playing video games and watching Japanese reality TV.
- Dream vacation destinations: Hawaii, Vancouver, and Japan.
“The best solutions are often the simplest.”